Speed dating in the church
Production was moved to Ardeer in Ayrshire, Scotland, and the munition industry around Faversham is now extinct.
Towards the end of the 19th century, two new factories were built alongside the Swale to manage production of TNT and cordite.
Faversham developed six explosive factories, and from 1874 to 1919, the town was the centre of the explosives industry in the UK.
The town was also the centre of the explosives industry between the 17th and early 20th century, before a decline following an accident in 1916 which killed over 100 workers.
This coincided with a revival of the shipping industry in the town.
Faversham has a number of landmarks, with several historic churches including St Mary of Charity, Faversham Parish Church, the Maison Dieu and Faversham Recreation Ground.
is a market town and civil parish in the Swale district of Kent, England.The town is 48 miles from London and 10 miles from Canterbury and lies next to the Swale, a strip of sea separating mainland Kent from the Isle of Sheppey in the Thames Estuary.
The Romans established several towns in Kent including Faversham, with traffic through the Saxon Shore ports of Reculver, Richborough, Dover and Lympne converging on Canterbury before heading up Watling Street to London.The town was less than 10 miles from Canterbury, Numerous remains of Roman buildings have been discovered in and around Faversham, including under St Mary of Charity Church where coins and urns were discovered during reconstruction of the western tower in 1794.In 2013, the remains of a 2,000-year-old Roman theatre, able to accommodate some 12,000 people, were discovered at a hillside near the town.Most of the abbey was demolished, and the remains of Stephen were rumoured to have been thrown into Faversham Creek.An excavation of the abbey in 1964 uncovered the empty graves.All three gunpowder factories closed in 1934 due to the impending threat of World War II.